A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

reach out

An email from a woman I consider a fairly new friend touched me deeply this morning.
It said, "This month of June must be a poignant time for you. I will especially keep you in prayer." This month is the anniversary of my daughter's death. Her accident occured many years ago but as any parent who has lost a child will tell you, the memory never leaves. Though the intensity of the pain lessens (one could not live in that pain forever), the anniversary of her death recreates a visceral nausea and a stab in my heart. Of course it also reminds me of her laughter, her beauty, her faith.

This very loving new friend took the risk to share her concern and empathy with me. Few friends or family take that risk. I am certain they feel they are sparing me the memory but I promise you the memory is always there-every single day of my life.

I encourage you to take the risk of offering a thought, a prayer, a blessing to someone you know who is experiencing a loss or the memory of a loss. I promise you they have not forgotten that loss. Knowing you remember their pain, that you have loving memories of that person or experience is the connection and intimacy which we all long for.

Who might you phone today to say you have a loving memory of someone they have lost?
What friend has lost their job? Pick up the phone and tell them you are praying for them.
Has someone relapsed in their addiction? Will you risk telling them you miss them?

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment