A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Friday, July 29, 2011

happiness and joy

Is there a difference for you between happiness and joy?
How do you define them?
When you experience either of those emotions how do they feel? Is there a difference?

Women I have spoken with about these emotions talk about happiness as a "lightness." They experience joy as a deeper emotion, connected to within.

In terms of recovery, for me 'happiness' is when I am successfully working on one of the S.T.I.G.M.A. issues-often the A.=anger! When I am able to negotiate around an incident or issue or person that has made me angry, then I feel pleased, successful, happy. There is a lightness to my day.

On the other hand 'joy" comes when I am aware of being open to a conversation with God. Even in a troubled, stressful time or angry time, if I am able to talk with God about the problem, there is a deep sense of connection, of 'joy.' Of course, God already knows the problem (He knows our prayer before we ask). When I remember to be open to His presence, the sense of being in relationship makes me joyful. I certainly may not hear a clear answer in that conversation but I know I am heard and He is with me. He promised! JOY. That is real recovery!

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment