A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

anxious and tense

Sometimes I become aware of a tension in my body that surprises me. While reading the paper I will notice my shoulders are tight or I'm clenching my jaw. My life is pretty calm. My kids are ok. Money is tight but not alarmingly so. Where does this tension come from?

I think an awareness of this tension is important on several levels. It is important to pay attention to the messages our bodies are telling us. It is important to think through what is going on not only in our external lives but internally. For me the tension has been there for so long in the way I lived my personal and professional life,it's a way of being for me. And it used to be a trigger, the excuse, for drinking. I knew what would relieve that tension---at least short term. An awareness of that tension and thinking it through remains a major part of my ongoing recovery.

And when the tenseness is there, I say Julian of Norwich's prayer-"All will be well, all will be well."

Can you and I really trust that "All will be well?" Do we have that faith?
Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment