A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, February 10, 2014

worth repeating

In a recent "Vogue" magazine was an article with a spiritual thread that caught me. First, who would expect "Vogue" to have anything spiritual? In fact, I recently told my husband to not renew the subscription when it came due--it's just too glitzy for me.

 But I am still receiving it and the article that caught my attention was by a woman who 2 years ago lost both her parents and her 3 young daughters in an accidental house fire on Christmas Eve. I remember the news stories about the fire and the tragic deaths, and I remember wondering how this woman would ever move ahead in her life. The story spoke of her despair, depression and hospitalization following the accident. It also told of her helping at a girls' orphanage the following Christmas and gaining some peace from those children's happiness. But the piece of the story that really touched me was her quote of the minister who conducted the funeral service for her daughters. The quote was this. "God is not a puppeteer. God was the first to cry."

This quote is very similar to one that moved me into a new peace years following the death of my daughter. A spiritual friend paraphrased the theologian Sloan Coffin following the death of his son. The friend said, "When Merry Pat died (my daughter), of all the hearts that broke that day, God's heart was the first to break."

Those words moved my daughter's death into my relationship with God. Those words helped ease the "why?"

Is there a loss, a challenge that you makes you cry out "why?" Can you move it into your relationship with God? Do you know He cries with you?

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment