A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, April 5, 2014

listen

The theme of this post is a repeat but it keeps going through my mind. In my last blog I mentioned that after my complaints to the health organization, I had felt "heard." The message that repeats itself in my head is this, "To be heard as an adult is like being held as a child." 

That seems like such an important concept that we need to repeat to ourselves often. When someone is talking to us, way, way too often we are guilty of thinking ahead of how we want to respond. We are not truly listening to what they are saying, what it means to them, how are they saying it. We hear the words but not the meaning. 

Take time to ask the second question---"How does that feel for you?...What does that mean for you?...Tell me more about that...I'm not certain I understand how that is for you..."

Practice a new way of "being" in conversation...in relationship.It just seems sooooo important.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment