A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, January 24, 2011

pain

I heard a reminder recently that I believe rings true for those of us in recovery. Relapse happens when we forget the pain.

When I forget the guilt and shame I felt the morning after a night of heavy drinking; when I forget the arguments triggered by my drinking; when I forget the shame that I drove drunk with children in the car--then I am moving toward relapse. Now I'm not talking of wallowing in shame and remorse but I am talking about relapse being a process with many places where we can turn it around. And one place we can turn it around is when the memories of the "fun" of drinking start creeping in. When I think "maybe it wasn't so bad" or "I need it to get through this"--that is when the relapse process is beginning. That is when I need to remember the pain.

That is when I ask God to be remind me that He is with me in this; that with His help I can remember the pain and make different choices. I have a new life.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment