A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, February 28, 2011

stress

In the next week I have to do some pretty stressful driving. We have lived in "rural America" for the last 12 years. Our driving is mostly local with little merging onto major freeways---and if we do have to merge there is very little oncoming traffic. But in the next few days I must drive from rural Vermont to Delaware...big city stuff. That kind of stress used to make me crave a drink--or 3 or 4...even just thinking about it could set up a craving. But now being in recovery doesn't make the stress disappear.

So how will I deal with it differently?
I'll tell my spouse how stressed I feel.
I'll ask for his help and understanding. (He doesn't drive because of vision problems.)
I'll do lots of planning with maps and GPS.
I'll give myself plenty of time to make the trip and arrive on time.
I'll schedule the driving in daylight hours.

And I'll remember last week's Old Testament reading that said, "God has my name inscribed in the palm of His hand." I am

How do you handle stress differently now?

Blessings-Penny

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this "news you can use"

    This situation has often been a major stressor for me. Allowing lots of time helps.

    ReplyDelete