A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

advocate

During my husband's recent hospitalization, the words of my daughter-in-law, Tammy, kept repeating in my head. "Everyone who is in the hospital these days needs a patient advocate." Tammy is a former ICU nurse with many years of hospital experience including two situations as a family member and advocate during her parents' hospitalizations. My husband's hospitalization had moments of real fear plus days of "routine" care. There were any number of times I spoke up, "No, you will not restrain him. Jeremy and I will hold his arms and calm him."..."He needs careful supervision tonight. (first night I left)"..."Wouldn't it be helpful to take him off the oxygen and see how he responds before we talk about discharge." None of these issues is rocket science or complicated nursing care. They simply seem to me to be practical, safety issues-clear to anyone who is observant.

I am a retired nurse---however, I am a psychiatric nurse and the joke in my family to anyone who asks me about a medical issue is, "Penny can only ask how you feel about it." This is very close to the truth. Med surg is not my forte. I am a strong supporter of the profession of nursing and nurses. Sadly the state of hospitals these days is all about the money and nursing positions are often the first to go in budget decisions. Two year nurses, traveling nurses and nurses from differing cultures all make the experience level and competency very different on different floors, different shifts and different days.

This blog is simply to underscore Tammy's wise words, "Anyone who is in the hospital these days needs a patient advocate."

Take time to be that advocate for someone you love. You are holding them as you would want to be held--as God holds you.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment