A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

"Man's Search for Meaning"

I am reading Victor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning."  It's a book we should all probably read every 10 years. The story is of how he survived  his experience as a prisoner in Nazi concentration camps.
But even more than that it is how he found meaning in that horrific experience ---how he survived day after day of beatings, near starvation, inhuman living conditions, frostbite, and brutal working conditions.

 I'm going to quote a number of sentences which strike me as pertinent for all of us:
"The greatest task for any person is to find meaning in his or her life. There are three possible sources for meaning: in work (doing something significant), in love (caring for another person) and in courage during difficult time."

"You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you feel and do about what happens to you."

The first quote reminds me of how important it is to choose a vocation or career that means something to you---that you see as significant. How many people get up every day dreading to go to work? I once heard a Marine General say, "If you can't get up every day and say 'Gee I get to go to work today, you are in the wrong business." I don't know many people who are able to say that. But I do know alot of people who drink and drug because they are bored---they find no significance in their work. They are bored in their relationships and they don't have the courage to do something different.

You can control what you feel and what you do in what happens to you. There was another quote in a different book that changed my life.  It said, "If there is something you don't like about your life, you can change it." I looked up from that book and made the decision to do something about my drinking. It changed my life.

Is there a decision today that will help you find meaning in your life? Think about it. Pray about it.

Blessings-Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment