A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Yesterday my friend called. Her husband, age 58 now, was diagnosed with  early onset Alzheimer's disease a few years ago. They have been through such sadness as they struggle to cope with the deterioration of his mental abilities. She and I don't get to talk often so her call was a real gift.

Her journey has been one of working through the grief process and I wish she had time to record it. I believe others would gain hope and strength from it. She now says things like, "I am not as angry as I was. I just know this is now my world and I will be changed by it...I already am...I take time for myself...I work out...I paint a little... and I have accepted a Stephan minister (-a spiritual counselor). I never would have done that a couple of years ago."

There is nothing she can change about the disease. But she has changed some of her behaviors and her perspective has changed. I believe she has opened her clutched fist and let God take hold of her hand.

Those of us with the disease of addictions cannot change the disease but we have such an opportunity to change our behaviors---and our perspective. Can we open our clutched fists and let God take our hand?

Blessings---Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment