A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Peace

Last week I was needing a place to meditate and pray-someplace safe, quiet, solitary. A few days before Christmas I went to services at a local church and to my great pleasure it had been decorated for the season. The altar was filled with poinsettias, the walls were adorned with wreaths and boughs and large velvet bows. Even the stately pillars had baskets filled with greens. It felt like a cathedral-here in my little Vermont town.

One of the prayers during the service gave me the sense of calm, of Emmanueal-"God with us"- that I was searching for. The prayer-- "If you hear God's voice and open the door, He will come in and supper with you and you with Him."

That is what recovery is for me---listening to His voice--opening the door--sitting and having supper with Him. When things are full of anxiety, I don't hear His voice. It's drowned out by my tenseness. If I am too busy I don't open the door and invite Him in. And I certainly don't enter that supper of prayer and talk with Him.

During this Holiday season, with all its built in expectations and anxieties, are you listening for His voice? Are you opening the door and sitting down and having supper with God? He promises to be with us--Emmanuel!

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment