A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Very bad temper"

Two women have recently spoken with me about their "very bad tempers." These are lovely ladies who I would not have believed ever raised their voices. Their tempers lead them to angry exchanges with their spouses and estrangement from friends. I really do believe many women, with addictions or not, have a boatload of anger under their very gracious exteriors.

And for those of us with addictions, we know how our anger can set us up for relapse. After all we know in the past that a drink or drug helped deescalate that anger. We just came down a notch or two emotionally after that first hit. That's a big part of the problem, we know what worked in the past.

What we have to figure out in this new life of recovery is what will deescalate us without that hit. Again this Advent Season has a real message for us. Wait, Be patient. What has offended me so much that I am willing to risk my recovery? Can I walk away from the situation? If not, how can I take care of myself?

Instead of the anger, can I think through the promises of God-one promise of God is the promise of a new life in Him? Is my recovery centered in this promise? Advent is a wonderful time to practice a change in our thinking.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment