A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Life is better

After church on Sunday we stopped for brunch at a newly opened restaurant across from the church. We were the only patrons and after a delicious breakfast, the owner chef came over to chat. During the conversation he mentioned being in recovery and went on to talk about what a difference it has made in his life. He's been sober 25 months. He acknowledged he easily could be one of the homeless people who come into the neighborhood for the meals provided at local churches. When we asked how he stays sober even in an environment that serves liquor, he smiled and had several comments. He pointed to his wife who was standing nearby, "She keeps an eye on me..." He said, "I'm not stupid. I see how much better my life is..." And then he said, very seriously, "My 4 year old daughter will never need to know me as I was then."

I was particularly touched by his last comment. Sometimes those working in the profession says things like, "You have to get sober for yourself...you can't get sober for anyone else." I think that's not quite true. I think especially in early recovery you can be motivated to move into recovery because of another person. Then, hopefully, you figure out, "I am not stupid...life really is better without it...people I love will know me without it"

If today you continue to struggle with an addiction, whatever that might be, or something you really want to change about yourself, can you be motivated by the love of someone else...and then figure out " life really is better?!"

(by the way, the brunch entree was fried bread pudding with strawberry syrup and whipped cream-life is better!!!)

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment