A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Yikes

Dear Friends
I've written a couple of posts recently but do not see them published here. Wonder what I'm doing wrong! Also there have been some great responses from the last couple of months (waiting to be moderated) that I only now see.

First we have arrived here safely in St. Louis and are enjoying city life. However getting settled in our small apt. is a challenge. I am certain "all will be well" in a few weeks. 

Probably the most meaningful moments we have spent were with a friend whose son has been in the ICU at a major hospital for over 30 days. It is a horror story of surgery after surgery. Our friend is the patient's father and has stayed with him during the entire hospitalization. What a story of caregiving and committment. A real inspiration during my moments of frustration!

To the persons who commented on the blog, I am so sorry I haven't personally responded. I will trry to respond personally soon but in the meantime... in response to your questions-yes, I was addicted to alcohol -and yes, God saved my life. It was not until I understood that only God could sustain my recovery that I really entered recovery. My book, "Broken by Addiction, Blessed by God- a woman's path to sustained recovery" talks a bit about my own recovery and alot about the women I worked with for 30 years in the field of addictions...what I learned from them about recovery and about God's miracles. The book is available on amazon.com.
Also I have a new book of daily meditations coming out in the fall. It is entitled-"Filling the God-shaped Void" and gives thoughts and musings about how we try to fill the void in our lives with things and stuff and work-and the only thing that can fill that void is God in Jesus Christ-a quote from a French philospher- Blaise Pascal.

How am I trying to fill the God-shaped void today? Shopping-drinking?-drugging?-busyness? Can I stop for a few minutes and focus on God's gifts to me-the quiet and stillness I let into my life.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment