A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Fractured Families

I've spoken with several friends since Thanksgiving who shared sad incidents of fractured families... a  father who didn't come to the family gathering... a teenager who felt ordered to spend Thanksgivng with this or that parent depending on the divorce agreement. These family splits become more noticeable during the holidays when our society pretends "all is calm." The friend whose father did not come said she cried all day Monday.

What do we do when our feelings are hurt? When we feel we have no control in a situation? It is so easy to get angry, to be overwhelmed with sadness. How do we begin to recognize that we have no control over others but we do have control over how we respond?

We begin to acknowledge our part in the situation. What is this about? I try to remind myself "all behavior has meaning." What is the meaning of this other person's behavior? What is the meaning of my behavior-of my response?

Am I able to begin to forgive? Can I begin to forgive the rejection? Can I remind myself that I am forgiven-forgiven by God's grace-and that because I am forgiven I can begin to forgive others.

A wonderful process this forgiveness-as we move toward Advent.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment