A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

unpack the backpack

Our sermon at church Sunday talked about "unloading our backpack" of things that interfere with our relationship with God. I wondered how to unload the sadness I feel at this time of year when it is the birthdate of my daughter who died at age 12. After some prayer, some meditation, some consolation from friends and family, what I have come to realize is that I can work on "unpacking" the gloom. The gloom is what interferes with my relationship with God, my feeling of comfort at this wonderful mystery of His birth, of focus on what His birth means in my salvation.

And to my great surprise and pleasure, this "unpacking" of my gloom has made a real difference in the last few days. I can still feel some sadness but I don't feel surrounded by the gloom. How have I unpacked it? I have prayed for the Spirit to help me place this gloom at the foot of the cross. I actually picture the gloom there at the foot of the cross.

I pray that if there is something in your backpack that interferes with your relationship with Christ, you, too, can place it at the foot of the cross. Christ's birth is the beginning of the miracle of His promises. It begins now!

Can you begin to live into those miracles?  Ocome Ocome Emmanuel. Christ with us.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment