A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

power of words

In both my books, "Broken by Addiction, Blessed by God- a woman's path to sustained recovery" and Filling the God-Shaped Void-a book of daily meditations" I emphasize the power of words. The words we use in talking with others have powerful effects on them and the words we hear about us have a powerful effect on who we come to believe we are. I grew up being told I needed to do things "perfectly." Attempts at sewing were never good enough...seams were ripped again and again.  Attempts at cooking were often thrown in the trash. The words that accompanied those attempts were not necessarily mean but certainly left the impression that my domestic abilities were sadly lacking. Unfortunately those messages translated to my entire sense of not being at all creative. I knew I was smart enough---I could get good grades, but I certainly wasn't creative.

Recently I heard a story that re-emphasizes this power of words.  One of my favorite successful humorous writers is Erma Bombeck. She wanted to be a writer and enrolled at a midwest state university in journalism. She submitted many articles for the school newspaper and never had one published. She was encouraged to change majors. Instead she changed universities and wrote a humorous essay for a class assignment. The professor said to her, "You can write!" Later at the height of her success as a humorous writer she was syndicated in over 900 newspapers.

I, too, was fortunate enough to have a professor/mentor in graduate school who, after I completed an oral presentation intersecting several theories into one visual grid, said, "Penny, you are so creative." These were clearly powerful words in my professional life---personal life too.

I repeat this theme because I believe it is so very, very important. Listen to how you talk to your children, your spouse, your friends, your co-workers. Is there a difference? Would you speak to your friends the way you speak to your children?

Do you speak in loving words to those you love? You are so powerful.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment