A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Thursday, June 26, 2014

"He gets him"

We traveled to Virginia over the weekend to see family and friends. A very quick trip for all the time on the airplane but so worth it to see children and grandchildren. Adult children busy, busy, busy taking care of their careers, their family and their fun. Wonderful to see the grandchildren all doing well, making good choices, maturing as gentle. loving, caring young adults.

Then we spent an evening with a friend of my husband's. Mike is a friend of about 20 years who 5 years ago started a middle school for kids from a very poor and rough neighborhood in Richmond, VA. The school is doing very well with its focus on preparing these kids for successful further education and responsible citizenship. Mike works his butt off to make the school work. We talked about that for quite a while.

Then we talked about both Mike's and my husband's passion for "the gospel." In the old days, I thought "the gospel" meant Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Fortunately I have come to learn "the gospel" means that through Christ's redemption of us we are assured and promised God's forgiveness and love. We can trust He is always with us---no matter what.  As Mike and my husband talked about this mutual passion, their commitment to getting this message to those of us who didn't learn it that way, I watched Mike listen to my husband. I saw a look of love, of interest, of admiration, of "getting" what my husband was saying and who he is. I felt a real surge of love for Mike. It is such a joy to see someone love the someone you love. One of the most precious moments of the trip.

Do you have moments like this? Moments of joy? I hope so.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment