A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

marinated cucumbers

This time of late spring to early summer is always bitter sweet for me. My 12 year old daughter was killed in a traffic accident on June 22 many years ago. The memories never go away and sometimes they are so acute, they make me catch my breath.

My husband and I are always watching our diets in hopes a losing a few pounds. We rarely are successful in meeting our diet goals but we keep trying. A few days ago, I decided to make us a snack of sliced cucumbers drizzled with Italian salad dressing. It was a snack I often prepared for my daughter who at 12 years old was trying to manage her pre-teen slight weight gain. As I prepared this snack for us a few days ago I was taken back to the kitchen in Montgomery, Alabama where I would slice the cucumbers and fix the dressing, while waiting for my daughter to return from school. I could almost feel myself there again but this time with such a sense of loss, I felt tears come to my eyes.

The death of a loved one changes one's life forever. Friends and family offered comfort and love at the time of her death and  friends and family let me know they too, even now, remember her and the time of her death. It is an incredible support and comfort to know I am not alone is this. It is a shared grief.

Remember to share the grief if someone you know has an "anniversary" of a death. Never worry that you might be causing them more pain by remembering with them. Trust me---they are remembering. Don't let them grieve alone.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment