A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, July 7, 2014

"hardest thing I've ever done"

My grandson has entered an  extremely tough component of military training---one of those "special forces' types of units. He is still in the pre-qualification part. His dad reports that he says, "it's the hardest thing" he's ever done. I certainly believe it. The physical extremes to which they are pushed sound like torture.

It got me wondering, what's the "hardest thing" I've ever done? Physically---I can't say I've ever "tortured" myself. I used to jog 3 miles a day. Now I walk. Mentally---the doctoral program at Rush University was the "hardest" thing I've done mentally. Emotionally---acknowledging I am an alcoholic was the "hardest." Spiritually---accepting the death of my daughter and continuing to believe and grow in my faith remains "hard" at times.

My son tells his son that he needs to continue the training. If his body gives out that is one thing, but he doesn't want to give up and in 5 years regret that he didn't push a bit harder.

Good advice. Are there "hard" things we have given up on that if we had pushed a bit harder we would now look at as success? Does it change how we confront "hard" things? What about our recovery? Do we give up when it gets hard? Can we push a bit harder and get through the tough times?

Do we know God is with us through the successes and the times we don't push so hard? Do we feel that Presence?

Blessings-Penny



No comments:

Post a Comment