A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

a sacred day

As I sat on the patio last evening reviewing my day, I realized it had been a sacred day...blessed by smiles, laughter, and joy....even some tears... sacred tears. 

As I did my 2 1/2 mile walk in the morning a male cyclist rode by and greeted me with a "Hi, Babe!" Well, it's been a long time since anyone called me "babe." Now I realize he probably calls all women Babe, and maybe my feminist leanings should have been insulted, but I was amused and pleased. I smiled the whole rest of my walk. 

Then in the afternoon Joe and I were presenting a workshop at a regional conference here in Vegas. I had let Joe's son and daughter (in-law) know the times of our presentation since they had expressed an interest in the topic a few months ago. The topic was "Grief and Hope" and someone we all love is experiencing very serious health problems. Well, as we were turning to leave the welcoming meeting, I turned around and there they were. These are very very busy professional people with 2 babies. Especially this week I had not at all expected them to come. 

How delighted, pleased, touched we were to have them take the time. Granted the topic was of interest to them but to have their love and support for us was a truly sacred gift. During my part of the presentation I talk about my daughter's death and the grief process. I am right back there----so many years ago...and tears come. I struggle to move along in the story. I looked at Joe's son and his face was so full of concern. What a gift. 

At the close of my part of the presentation I give a quote---one of my favorite from F. Buechner:
"But of this you can be sure. Whenever you feel tears in your eyes, especially unexpected tears, it is well to pay the closest of attention.
They are not only telling you something about the secret of who you are, but more often than not God is speaking to you through them of the mystery of where you have come from and is summoning you to where, if your soul is to be saved, you should go next."

A beautiful, sacred day--laughter--tears---love. 

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment