A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, December 14, 2015

setting myself up

This sweet new dog of ours, Izzy, needs to be spayed. I have been really stressed about it. She is so fearful---shakes and runs at every loud noise; has a low growl when new people confront her; wants to be in my husband's lap whenever he sits down. We took her to the vet for immunizations last week and she was terrified---had to be carried in to the office, growled at the vet.

So I have been awake for two nights dreading what it would take to get her into the vet's office again for the spay and how she would behave. I sure don't want her to be aggressive in her fear. So off we went at 6 a.m.---to avoid confrontations with other other dogs. Sure enough she had to be carried in (about 50 pounds of dead weight) ---but once in the exam room, she settled down pretty quickly. To make a long story short---it was not nearly as traumatic for her (or me) as I thought.

As we drove home, I shared with my husband about how I had been dreading the morning. He said, "You really set yourself up, don't you?" And after my initial desire to refute that, I have to acknowledge that really is true. I can "jump tall buildings" and really fantasize about the worst possible scenario---especially when it is clear I have no control over a particular situation. In good situations all my planning pays off---when I can control the outcome with good planning. But when it is clear I have no control, I can stay awake nights with nervousness and tension.

It may sound trite and silly, but I thanked God for things going reasonably well this morning. I know God has bigger things to be involved in , but I do believe He is with me even in the little stuff.

Now I need to work on this "setting myself up" for stress and tension in certain situations---to thank God for my ability to plan and also to ask for His peace ---even in the little stuff.

Would you find more peace if you recognize God's help---even in the little stuff?

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment