A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Friday, February 12, 2016

neurotic?

I've moved alot in my lifetime. Some of the later moves have been my choice and most of the earlier ones had to do with my father's and first husband's careers. It's been over 22 major moves from state to state---some have been repeat moves to a particular state (like to Virginia a number of times)---some additional ones within a state--- but also to every major geographical area in the U. S. plus England.

I think I am done ---but one is never quite certain with me!

What got me thinking again about the moves was a recent article about finding spirituality in walking and traveling. Well, I walk for exercise and I do find it a time for lots of reflection. I think I find some spirituality in my moves also---maybe not what is defined by most people as spirituality but walking, traveling and moving could be defined as searching. Searching for new experiences, new things to consider, new ways to explore ideas. The article said that walking and traveling are ways to meet new people, examine life from different perspectives and cultures.

That certainly has been true of my moves and my walking. Living in new geographical areas has certainly taught me that people in the U. S. differ signficantly in their views of many important things---city people, rural people, people who move, people who have lived in one place most of their lives---differ in politics, religion, entertainment, even family life. Not one better or worse---just different. In my moves I get to search the differences and the similarities.

Even walking gives me an opportunity to examine the landscapes of the different geographical areas---understand the geology, evolution and survival. Searching. Walking the dog gives me interactions with people I would not otherwise have. People stop to talk---share their experiences, search for commonalities.

What I like in the article about walking (moving) and spirituality is that it said I'm not neurotic. That's a reassurance. I'm certain many of my friends think I'm a bit neurotic with all these moves. I know the kids wonder about mom at times. But the article said that all this movement is searching. Knowing there is more below the surface of this world---or maybe above the surface. It reminded me of the title of my book Filling the God-Shaped Void---"There is a God-Shaped void in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing; only by God the creator made known through Jesus Christ." (Pascal)

My void? my search?---your void? your search?

Blessings-Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment