A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

a life

We had our kitchen cabinets, walls etc. painted last week. What chaos! I certainly didn't expect the amount of  plastic sheeting and taping required. This is a small house and it felt like we were living in a plastic bubble. Anyway, it's done and looks lovely.

At one point I heard the woman forewoman of the job, Eileen, and a young co-worker talking. The forewoman was saying how difficult it is for her to learn Spanish. "English is my second language. My first language was sign language...My parents were both deaf and I learned sign language first...I had to learn to speak and speak English by spending time with my grandmother."

Now think about the challenge this woman had as a child! She talked about the challenge of elementary school...the teasing and the social consequences of halting English. She speaks fluent English now and I never would have guessed this woman's story and courage. I wish I had time to hear more. How did she learn to overcome her obstacles? How did she gain the confidence to persue her goals? (She was a tough forewomam---gave instructions in both English and Spanish---firm, no nonsense voice.)

A symbol of Eileen's success was a beautiful dark green F100 truck---immaculately kept. What did that truck represent to her?

Aren't people's stories amazing? And to think of the stories we miss hearing---the nurse, the teacher, the clerk, the pastor, the taxi driver, the housekeeper. Each of us has a story---a story so important.

Each of us is a child of God. Loved and cherished.

Dear God, today help me take a moment to look into the eyes of the people I encounter and know there is a story---a very important story. Help me acknowledge that story by a smile.
Blessings-Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment