A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, April 25, 2016

storage units

Have you noticed how many streets have big storage unit complexes? Even an investment firm is advertising that storage units are the next best investment. People buy a lot of stuff and then need to store something to make room for the new thing.

One of my family groups is selling their house. They are in the process of "staging" it so it can look beautiful to sell. They have been told to reduce their clutter so they are packing up boxes and boxes of stuff and putting it into a storage unit. Now if they can store it for several months, how much of it do they really need?

They work hard. They can afford their clutter. They have 4 children. But, again, if they can manage without this "clutter" for months, do they really need it?

I think it's a question for all of us. How much of our stuff is clutter and how much do we really need?
Our consumerism is owning us. We work hard. We put ourselves under such stress----for what? ---so we can buy more stuff to store? I'm as bad as the next guy. We went to an estate sale on Friday. I bought a set of brightly painted dishes---not a full set but enough to fill up a cupboard. They are colorful. Fun---something very different from what I have.  When I use them I call it our "happy meal." But I truly didn't need them. More stuff. More work to find space.

If I want a simple life...if I want less stress...I need to take time to think through what I buy.  Will this simplify my life or complicate it?

This clutter is just one of the pieces of life as we search for real peace... "a peace that passes all understanding." The real peace comes from knowing we are held in God's arms. No storage units...no painted dishes. Just trust.

Today, let me take a deep breath...and trust.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment