A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Birthdays with zeros

Recently I celebrated a birthday with a zero. You know the ones that tell us life really is moving along. As I reflected on this past decade and the birthdays with zeros before this one, I was struck by the reality that on each of those days of usually quiet celebration, I had no idea of what would occur in my life in the decade that was lying ahead. Absolutely no idea of successes, of set backs, of vacations, of moves, of goals reached, of illness, of losses, of gains. We all know the future is unknown but the stark reality of what that means caught me by surprise.

Then I thought about today. It's early morning as I sit here and look out my window at the mountains and the brook. I have no idea what today will bring. The unknown future is also in the next few minutes and the next few hours. Will I use this future of now in thanksgiving, in contentment or will I waste it in needless anxiety. Will I "trust in things to come?"

No comments:

Post a Comment