A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Disease

Do I really, at my core, believe addiction is a disease or do I hold onto the lie that I might have some control over it? If I believe I have heart disease or diabetes, I pay close attention. Each day-several times a day- I monitor my diet; I exercise; I check my blood sugar; I watch my stress levels. Even if I've been diagnosed with these other diseases for several years, I still pay close, daily attention.

But, so very often, with addictions of alcohol or drugs or gambling or sex or shopping or food, after a while I let my thoughts return to the "good times"--before the addiction took over.

Do I monitor daily that I have no power over the addiction--but I do have power over my decisions? If I do what I have always done, I will get what I always got! Do I reach out for the hand God has extended?
Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment