A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cut offs

Recently my son "uninvited" us for Thanksgiving. Apparently he had not discussed the family plans with his wife before extending us the spur of the moment invitation. My response to being "uninvited" was mixed. None of it good-hurt, sad, angry. The invitation meant we would have stayed with them and though they have a large home, his wife's parents would have been there also. His wife thought 2 more adults was too many.

As I said, I was hurt, sad, angry. My initial instincts included " In the future, we will visit when we damn well please"..."they can just wait for me to contact them"---followed by all kinds of other comments ---in my head---that expressed my anger and disappointment. In further reflection---and prayer---I realized how immature much of that was. It is ok to acknowledge being hurt and angry but to cut off communiucation leads only to more disappointment and anger. Emotional cut offs are weapons as destructive as IEDs. They devastate relationships and families.

Today ask God to help you heal any emotional cut offs you are a part of. If someone else has cut you off, be courageous and ask why. If you have cut some else off, work on healing the relationship. Think about the relief you will feel when the healing begins.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment