A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, March 18, 2013

From sad to glad

Another family story. The brother of the woman I talked about in the last blog also has this disease of addiction. They are both adults and have struggled for years. Jimmy (not his real name) got out of treatment about 2 weeks ago. We went to see him Saturday. He is doing well-lots of meetings-lots of prayer. But a few days ago he found a beer which he had forgotten was in his truck. He said he looked at it for a long time wondering if he should drink it or throw it away. After all, "Who would know?" But them he told himself, "What am I struggling about? If I wanted to buy myself a keg, I could. But if I drink, I throw away all the good things God has given me." And he threw the beer away. He also is struggling with some marital issues.

He was pleased he had managed through some tough moments. He sensed the added strength that comes with each success. He laughed.

An awful lot of things can sabotage recovery. Generally those things are called "life."

He asked us to pray with him.

What are you doing today to strengthen your recovery? Can you whisper little prayers of thanks?
Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment