A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

old messages

Early the last 2 mornings I have done radio phone interviews related to my new book. They lasted 10-15 minutes. Yesterday morning I completed the call and then sulked around our apartment for a couple of hours telling myself I had not done a very good job---hadn't said this----hadn't said that---hadn't done it "perfectly." I could hear the old "be perfect" message in my head. I recognized it as an old message  but just couldn't shut it off completely.

A couple of hours later I checked my email and there was an email from my publisher, She  said  the radio show had loved me and want me back to do a 25 minute interview in April. I was stunned and so very pleased.

What a lesson. Those old messages come back with a vengence when we have moments of self doubt. During my sulking period yesterday, I had prayed that God would help me work through this, that I could accept my not "being perfect," that if I wasn't perfect, it really didn't matter in the larger picture.....that there are friends and family struggling with huge issues...that I needed to get a grip! Though it all worked out wonderfully-thanks to God's grace---I am in awe of the power of the old messages.

Are there old messages that get triggered in your life? What do you do with them? Do they take control of your mood?

Can you ask God today to help you minimize the power of those old destructive messages? Can you accept the peace that comes when you bring that prayer into your life?

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment