A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Heroes and saints

There are 4 people close to me who I consider real heroes and saints.  All are caretakers. One woman cares for her husband with Parkinsons. They've been married over 50 years. She is exhausted-little money, little help, adult children live far away. Another is a grandmother who cares for her teenage grandson. The boy's mother is an addict and comes in and out of the picture. My friend gives the consistency and safety this child needs. She prays she lives until he is at least 18. The third friend is in her late 50's. Her husband, who is a few years younger, has early Alzheimer's disease. He has lost his job. She is breadwinner, mother and caregiver. And the fourth friend(s) are a couple who care for their grand daughter with autism. The child's parents work and my friends have moved close by completely changing their years of retirement. I heard my friend is terribly thin from chasing after this very active child.

I have mentioned these friends in other blogs and I mention them again because their courage and commitment continues to profoundly move me.

How do they dig deeply within their love, their spirituality to find the energy to get up in the morning-to keep doing what they do?
Is there a struggle or challenge you have that names you as a hero or a saint because you get up each morning and face it?
Are you a hero?
Do you call upon God to remind you that He is with you---even in the most difficult times?
(I smiled when the Pope said this week that sometimes he felt that God was asleep.If even the Pope can feel that way, then it's ok if I sometimes wonder where He is in my life!)
Blessings, Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment