A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

my confession

It seems that often when I feel criticized by my husband I get an edge to my voice. This edge in my voice really sets my husband off and we are on the road to World War III. Once we get through the "dust up" (maybe it isn't WWWIII), I am reminded of a psychiatrist's profound construct that "All behavior has meaning."

I also considered this quote when I heard that at a certain church members had not responded to a request to provide an hour of respite care on Sundays for a friend's husband. The caregiver would like to attend church and could church members rotate and provide this hour of care? Not one person responded. At first I was appalled but on further thought, I again considered, "All behavior has meaning." Is it possible the church members are afraid? The patient needs occasional suctioning and verbal communication is very limited.

"All behavior has meaning." Do I rush to judgment when I hear parts of a story? Do I take time to listen to what my husband is really saying--what does that criticism really say about me?--about him?---about us?

I don't want to over analyze every situation, but when I rush to judgment, or when I'm stunned by someone's behavior can I take the time to remember, "All behavior has meaning?" Where did that come from? What has happened to that person to evoke that behavior or response? What does that mean about that person's experience?

Today, dear God, help me to step back, watch my tone, and live more kindly.-with my family, my co-workers, people I disagree with.

"Do justice
Love kindness
Walk humbly with my God."

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment