A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, May 23, 2016

pet peeve

We went to a matinee concert yesterday---a beautiful classical music presentation. The usual request was given for everyone to turn off their cell phones and all other mobile devices.

And then there were two! One to our right and one to our left. As the magnificent sonatas were played the annoying lights of their phones came on. One took pictures. A few minutes later the other  answered a text. Do they think the request is not for them??!! The lights from their devices really were distracting! I wanted to tap them on the shoulder and ask what made them so important. Of cours I didn't. I just stewed.

Then as we drove home I considered how fortunate I am. If the biggest annoyance in my life is the light from someone's cell phone disturbing my afternoon concert, I really better re-examine my state of thankfulness. In Bible study in the morning we had talked about contentment. How so many of us in this day and age complain, think life is unfair. The political discourse is sad if not frightening---the anger, the discontent. Personal conversations are filled with complaints.

One woman in the Bible study who works with severely disabled children talked about the parents of the children...how some of them seem to accept that this (the child's disability) is just a part of life. They don't seem angry...they don't seem discontent. They accept and work to make the best of their situation.

What makes the difference? What makes some of us so irritable...ready to pounce? What makes some of us more content with what life presents?

"God grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference." The truth of familiar prayers.

Blessings-Penny


No comments:

Post a Comment