A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, August 19, 2013

How much should I say?

One of my step-grandaughters is going off to college this week. I live half way across the country and we are not very close. My son and her mother have been married 2 years. Her younger sister seems to be having a very difficult time with the pending separation. Her mother reports that the younger sister feels like it is a death. The sisters have been very close. They have weathered together the divorce of their parents, a tense relationship with their biological father, a significant geographical move during high school to accommodate their mother's marriage to my son, the welcoming of 2 stepbrothers into the family.

My dilemma is how much to say about the younger sister's sadness...and apparently pretty dramatic tears.  There's a part of me that wants to say, "For heaven's sake, Anna got into the college she wanted...it's a major step of growing up...be happy for her." And there's another part that does not want to be dismissive of Lexi's feelings. It is a major loss from her perspective.

I firmly believe the "loving thing"  is for Lexi to say to Anna that she will miss her terribly and that their closeness is a true gift...that she wants to hear all about college. It takes a big heart, lots of courage, and much self sacrifice to choose "the loving thing"---for it to be about Anna's excitement.

Should I say that? Would it be helpful?

It is a choice---for me to have the courage to say it---for Lexi to say it to Anna.! Is there a place today you can choose "the loving thing?"

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment