A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

memories and miracles

Yesterday I was continuing to read Annie LaMott's latest book in which she talked of an aunt who made her clothes when she was a gangly teenager. For whatever reason (memories can be such a surprise!) I was reminded of a neighbor/friend who sewed a very special gift for me many, many, many years ago.

I was taking a trip to Hawaii to meet my husband for R and R during the Vietnam war.  That gives you a clue of how many years! Dianne was a very talented artist and I had admired some beautiful clothes she had made for family the Christmas before. When she heard of my travel plans, she had casually asked what size dress I wore.  Several days later she came to my door with two brightly colored "shifts." I really couldn't have afforded 2 new Hawaiian type dresses at that time and these shifts made me feel fresh and comfortable and stylish. I wore them for years and even now can bring them into the picture of my mind---and smile.

And then later yesterday, on an entirely different subject,  I was reading a report of a cardiac test I had had two years ago. I had just picked up the report to take for a new cardiac consult next week. In this report the cardiologist characterized the artery blockage that I had prior to my first cardiac stent, now almost 13 years ago, as "total blockage of the LAD." The LAD is called the "widow maker."  I had realized the blockage was severe but I had not been told it was "total." In what I have learned since that initial stent, total blockage is what causes fatal heart attacks or attacks that cause such major damage that life is never the same. What a miracle that I am alive...that the cardiologist who did  the stent was visiting in the small rural clinic in which I had the appointment for my "arm" pain. And to think I sometimes question "miracles.!"

As a bit of an aside---this is "heart health month." Ladies, please please be aware that our symptoms of heart problems are often different from men's symptoms. My symptoms were a squeezing in my right  arm when I exercised. I ignored them for months until I also experienced some shortness of breath. Women's symptoms are often minimized by health care workers. 'We often "don't want to bother" anyone when we are feeling symptoms. My family had a history of strokes--not heart disease. I told myself this couldn't be cardiac. Denial is a powerful force.

I realize these two occurrences, the memory of the dresses and the miracle indicated by the cardiac report are really unrelated. However they occurred so closely together yesterday morning  they seemed connected...an awareness of how precious friends, family and life are. How in the midst of the daily we can miss the gifts and the miracles. And the memories of the gifts and the miracles can be gifts again.

I pray you have the gift of precious memories.today.

Blessings---Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment