A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Listened to


"If someone listens,  deeply, you've been heard, which helps you absorb it, and you can lay it at the feet of the right god. You can forgo the math of adding up the damage again, lay your ledger in your lap, and look up. Looking up is the way out." Annie Lamott

"Looking up is the way out." I remember being in the clutches of my alcoholism, walking through the house at night wondering 'how am I going to get out of this??' Then one day I read a book that said, "If there is something you don't like about your life, you can change it." I was absolutely struck by that. I looked up, saw beautiful blue sky... and it was the way out.

My recovery began at that point. I found someone who deeply listened to me...who heard my anger, my sadness, my fear. I was able to lay it down. Now I admit I sometimes/often pick those things back up but I am more aware of it when I do. I feel the tenseness and fear and anger. but I don't have to "add up all the damage again." I'm able to acknowledge it and work towards laying it down again...I think we call it "letting go."

I lay it at the feet of the right God and I look up. When I place it all in my relationship with God, it loses its power over me. I am not alone.

I pray today to "lay it down at the feet of God", look up and thank God for this gift of peace. I pray this for you too.

Blessings --Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment