A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

identity

I recently saw a quote by a celebrity that said, "My identity changed when I got sober." I think that is true on many levels. ,,almost all of it for the good. When we move into recovery our identity changes for ourselves and for those around us. We become more reliable, less anxious. In the "old" 30 day treatment programs, we saw people progressively change over a month...smile more, stand up straighter, conversations changed, show concern for others...real personal change.

I do have concern with the self help introduction of "I'm ......and I'm an alcoholic." You are so much more than that. "I'm a recovering alcoholic...I'm sober..I'm in recovery" all honor the recovery process...and that is what is to be honored in your identity.

If you are a diabetic or have heart disease, at a support meeting  you don't introduce yourself as "I'm...and I';m a diabetic" or "I'm ... and I'm a heart disease." You say, "I'm ...and I've been managing this disease for ...months or years." My young friend doesn't say, "I'm and I'm a bulemic." She says. "I'm ...and I haven't binged or cut in ....days"

Honor the recovery! Don't identify yourself by your disease. Identify yourself to yourself and others by your recovery.

And thank God for being with you in all this. A line from the sermon last Sunday, "I am the one Jesus loves." What an identity!!!

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment