A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

loving message

I have decided that Mother's Day and most holidays need to be celebrated all year or at least within "the octave of." Sometimes there is an encounter that says more than any Hallmark card.

My daughter-in-law (I really dislike that 'in-law' part---I much prefer the cultural tradition that doesn't use 'in-law'--she is my daughter) and I were talking the day before Mother's Day. I was bemoaning my decision to foster/adopt this 14 yr old cocker spaniel. She generously listened and then said, "You,ll figure it out and you'll make it work. If I've learned one thing from you, it's that you make things work...no matter the situation."

What an affirming response! Here I was spending a fair amount of time wondering what was wrong with me that I had made this crazy decision and yet someone I love sees an indication of a strength...maybe not in the decision itself but in my ability to handle it.

Isn't this what each of us needs in the grit and grind of daily life...someone to affirm that we will make it work...no matter the situation? And the really lovely part is that she feels she "learns" that from me. Of course she sees it in others too-people with courage and endurance--- but I am touched she sees it in me---and is willing to tell me. Thank you, lovely lady.

Do you give that affirming message to people you love?---"You'll figure it out and you'll make it work." That is the message of a loving parent.
Is that a message God gives to you---"You'll figure it out and you'll make it work."

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment