A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Saturday, May 9, 2015

"Let go of the little things"

"Let go of the little things" was part of the advice I shared last post. It turns out to be one of the things I'm having most difficulty with this week.

As I mentioned we are fostering/adopting a 14 year old dog. His owner of 14 years is in the military and deployed to Korea. The dog is deaf, almost blind and has some serious digestive issues. We knew about the deafness. He seems to do ok with the vision problems though he bumps into walls and chairs, But the digestive issues are a real problem. I'll spare the details but he has to go outside every 2-3 hours in the daytime and he prefers the grass where there is no fence rather than the enclosed courtyard.

Anyway.....this is clearly not the wisest decision I have made. How do I "let go" of the consequences?
Well, I tell myself  adopting this dog was a "nice" thing to do---he won't wind up in one of those tragic commercials about abused and abandoned dogs. I tell myself he really is sweet--wags his tale to greet us, does a little dance to be fed, is adjusting pretty nicely given his age.

But it really was a decision with some nuisance consequences. Nuisance consequences can be really irritating. They can ruin a whole day---get under my skin, affect my mood.

So I need to be aware of what it is that is affecting my mood. I need to remind myself, it was essentially my decision---and it is only a nuisance...not the end of the world.

And I need to pray to remember to "let go of the little things" so I don't miss an otherwise lovely day.

Is there something you need to "let go of" so you can fully enjoy today? Pray for a little help with that.
Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment