A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

anxiety

As I wrote in my last blog, one of my New Year's resolutions is to work on letting go of my anxiety. When I become aware of the anxiety I hold in my body, I am surprised. My life is pretty calm-so where does this anxiety come from? Without getting too analytical I think it is a lifetime of absorbing stress from around me; it is also the messages I heard from others that then became the messages I still give myself. I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father and the message was:
"Don't upset him...don't make too much noise." We walked on egg shells. My body was tense.

There was also the subtle message that one must be perfect, do things perfectly. As a child it was a message meant to keep me on the straight and narrow but it got translated in my head to "if you make a mistake, if you are wrong, you are bad." My body was tense and if I made a mistake I was "bad."

Though I became aware of all this many years ago, I still find my body tense and my need to be "perfect" causing anxiety in my daily life. How do I let go of all this? After all, this anxiety is a part of my challenge with alcoholism. I found early on that a good shot of bourbon (or 2 or 3 or 4) relieved the anxiety. I let go of the bourbon but I still have a surprising amount of tenseness in my body.

In this New Year I will work on placing this anxiety in my relationship with God. When I become aware of the tenseness, I will take a deep breath and remind myself, I am no longer that child in a chaotic home. I no longer need to be "perfect." I am a child of God. I live in God's creation where I am safe.

That is the message of Christmas and of the Epiphany. Christ came to be "manifest"-to be "present"-in my life. Let go of the tenseness. Breathe Christ into that space.

Is this an area that might move you into a safer place?

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment