A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Things I wish I had said

During the interview on Relevant Radio this week, I spoke about letting go of fear and anxiety. I talked about the idea of breathing in Christ and breathing out the anxiety. I had mentioned several people in my life experiencing very serious fear and anxiety and Sean, the show's host, acknowledged their very real fears. He asked what they could do. I continued with my discussion of prayer. What I wish I had also said was the need for very real support and counseling as they struggle with these situations. Prayer is the ultimate solution as we struggle through the the minutes, hours, and days of these crisis times. But the other supports available are there to also provide direction and comfort. Prayer is the foundational gift we have.

One of the supports I saw this week I believe is worth some consideration. It was an article about grief when someone close to you dies and the article contained some realistic suggestions:
1: Stay emotionally connected to the deceased: Prayer, contemplation and dreams help us still feel connected to the person's presence. Love doesn't die so the relationship doesn't die.
2. Let go of the pain when possible. It's ok when the grief begins to ebb. Remember that the loved one lived, not only that they died.
3. Expect a bumpy ride. Grief is unpredictable. It ebbs and flows. This is normal.
4. Take a breather. Rest.

There is a chapter on grief and loss /guilt and shame related to recovery in my book "Broken by Addiction/Blessed by God." I believe it is a discussion that relates to many circumstances involving grief-not just recovery from addiction. It is meant to be reassuring and moves the grief into a relationship with God---the ultimate letting go of fear and anxiety.

Are you experiencing grief related to the death of a loved one? Are you experiencing grief that interferes with your recovery? Are you getting the support you need? Are you moving toward a stronger relationship with God as the foundation of that recovery? How can you move toward that today? Breathe in Christ-breathe out the fear.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment