A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Monday, January 13, 2014

safety

I didn't do well on my tenseness/anxiety reduction yesterday. I had to drive into downtown Las Vegas--- new freeways (to me), lots of traffic and didn't know where I was going. My tone of voice is not good during times like these and these situations can turn into  real "dust-ups" between my husband and me. I thought I had planned well but the map I took off the computer had an incorrect direction and we wound up in a huge, closed parking lot. Of course ultimately we got to where we were going but I was well aware my New Year's resolution was not proceeding well.

As I think about the situation today, I think I need to prepare for times like this more "spiritually." That may seem a bit silly but it's sort of like recovery. If I make my recovery strictly about planning my actions on a practical level, I miss placing it all in my relationship with God. And therefore I miss the "safety" of God's holding me. If I take a few minutes to ask for God's presence as I navigate a new driving situation, I would hope that my anxiety does not translate into a tone of voice that causes "communication problems" with my husband. (Those kind of "dust-ups" can be a real trigger for relapse.) I need to do the practical preparation and I also need to ask for the knowledge of God's promise to always be there.

Do you have triggers and dust-ups? Can you ask for God's presence as you work through those? Do you feel safety in His presence?
Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment