A woman's path to sustained recovery

Though the process of recovery is never easy, some women seem to move through the journey with less pain than others. Why? What makes the difference? Here we will talk about how that happens for each of us. We will talk about how women heal in mutually empowering realtionships with themselves, with others and with God.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

law versus grace

Last night we attended a bible study that is focusing on the Book of Job from the Old Testament. We are at the point where Job is grieving about the deaths of his children, the total loss of his wealth and health. Our group discussion centered around the experiences of loss and grief among our group members. When it was my turn to share I talked about my early grief from the death of my daughter, the discussions of the stages of grief and my counselor's ability to listen let me cry.

 I also shared that the real shift in the resolution of my grief came many years later. Early in my friendship with Joe, the man who later became my husband, I was asking the question Job asks, "Why, why does God let these terrible things happen?" My husband had spent many years as a theologian and pastoral counselor. His response was, "Penny, I don't know why these things happen but of all the hearts that broke the day your daughter died, God's was the first heart to break."

I shared with the group that as I meditated about this over weeks and months, there was a significant shift in my relationship with God. I no longer just accept this as a tragedy and mystery which maybe I'll get an answer to in the hereafter, but as a situation in which I am in relationship with God. He is my Father and grieves for me as His beloved child.

Last night Joe added this---"When Penny began to see this tragedy within her relationship with God, she moved from law (why?) to grace (love)."

Do you have a tragedy, a challenge that moves you to ask, "Why?" Can you begin to consider that God is in this with you, grieving with you? You are His beloved child.

Blessings-Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment